BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A 58-year-old Bridgeport man was found not guilty of murder in a 2015 stabbing death on Fairfield Avenue, according to the Connecticut Post.
A jury found Wilfredo Ortiz not guilty on Monday after deliberating for about an hour, the Connecticut Post reported.
Ortiz had been charged with the stabbing death of Erick Lopez, 32, on Sept. 1, 2015. Police said at the time that they were flagged down on Fairfield Avenue near Howard Avenue at around 10 p.m., and found Lopez suffering a stab wound to the chest. He was taken to the hospital, where he died of his injuries several weeks later.
Ortiz was arrested in late December 2015 and charged with the murder. Witnesses had reportedly told police that Ortiz was hired by a drug dealer to kill Lopez over a turf dispute, according to the Connecticut Post. Ortiz's lawyer argued that the witnesses' testimony was not reliable, the Connecticut Post reported.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.