FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- With thousands of people expected to hit the road during the Thanksgiving weekend, Connecticut State Police are stepping up their enforcement to keep travelers safe.
Beginning Wednesday and running through Sunday, state police will have additional troopers on the road to supplement its normal routine patrol. Across the state, troopers will patrol roads and highways, focusing on aggressive driving, unsafe driving, and drunk drivers. They will be looking to reduce crashes through initiatives such as roving DUI patrols.
Residents are asked to do their part to keep the roads safe by obeying traffic laws: don't follow too close, drive the speed limit, stay off your phone while driving, and if you do drink, do not drive. Young drivers, especially college students returning home for the holiday weekend, should also be reminded of the laws regarding alcohol consumption and drinking and driving.
Patrol troopers will use traditional and non-traditional patrol cars to observe traffic and issue tickets to reckless and distracted drivers. Anyone who consumes alcohol should not get behind the wheel, and anyone who sees a suspected drunk driver should call 911.
The following roving DUI patrols and spot checks will be conducted throughout the week from approximately 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.:
Troop E - Montville
- Wednesday, Nov. 22 to Sunday, Nov. 26, roving DUI patrols I-395 exit 9 - exit 18, I-95 in the area of the Goldstar Bridge and exit 83-84, Route 164, Griswold & Preston areas and Route 2 North Stonington area.
Troop G – Bridgeport
- Wednesday, Nov. 22, I-95, I-91 and Route 34 in the greater New Haven area.
- Friday Nov. 24, I-95, Route 8 and Route 25 in the Bridgeport, Stratford, Trumbull area.
- Saturday Nov. 25, I-95 in the Stamford, Norwalk, Greenwich area, and Route 7 in the Norwalk area.
- Sunday Nov. 26, Route 15 (Merritt Parkway) from New York State Line to the Sikorsky Bridge.
Troop H – Hartford
- Wednesday, Nov. 22 to Sunday, Nov. 26, DUI/Sobriety Roving patrols during the late evening hours to early morning hours on I-84, I-91, Route 384, Route 291, Route 2 and Route 9.
Troop I – Bethany
- Wednesday, Nov. 22 to Sunday, Nov. 26, DUI/Sobriety Roving patrols during the late evening hours to early morning hours on Route 15 in the North Haven area, I-91 in the North Haven area, I-691 in Meriden and Route 8 in the Shelton area.
- Friday, Nov. 24, Troop I will conduct a spot check on I-91 in the area of Exit 6 in New Haven. The spot check will be conducted between 6 p.m. and 2 a.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.