FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Here's a look at the top stories in Fairfield County this week:
- Mark Barden, who lost his 7-year-old son, Daniel, in the shooting at Sandy Hook School, took center stage Tuesday in introducing Barack Obama, as the president announced proposals to reduce gun violence. Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, who attended the White House ceremony, applauded Obama's executive actions.
- A 24-year-old Stratford man found unconscious in the bathroom of a Starbucks in Trumbull died of a suspected heroin overdose.
- Michael Collins, 29, who was the head lifeguard at Burying Hill Beach in Westport , was arraigned on hundreds of of voyeurism and pornography charges. Prosecutors said he secretly photographed and videotaped his female colleagues inside the lifeguard shack as they undressed for work and later pasted their photos on his bedroom wall along with other disturbing images and words.
- The Bridgeport Rescue Mission handed out clothing and coats Thursday afternoon, targeting the area's needy , with a special emphasis on victims of a fire on New Year's Eve in Bridgeport that left more than 100 people homeless.
- A 19-year-old Sherman man is facing arson charges in connection with an October fire that destroyed three cars at an off-campus apartment complex housing University of Connecticut students.
- Calling it a victory for rail commuters, U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal , D-Conn ., hailed the restoration of a commuter tax credit during a visit to his hometown Greenwich Train Station.
- A former resident of Norwalk was sentenced to 70 months in prison for trafficking heroin in the city.
- The New Canaan Police Department and Officer George Caponera were honored by AAA Northeast for their outstanding traffic safety programs.
- Shelton held its own winter Farmers Market at the city-owned Farmers Market Building, celebrating the New Year with fresh Connecticut-made farmer's cheese, goat milk, veal, pork and beef cuts, eggs and more.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.