FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Here's a look at the top stories in Fairfield County this past week:
- Residents from across Fairfield County attended vigils to mourn the 49 victims of the mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, with gatherings in Bridgeport , Norwalk and Westport .
- In reaction to the shooting, the deadliest in U.S. history, U.S. Rep. Jim Himes walked out of the House chamber during a moment of silence to protest a lack of action on gun control. And U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy said politicians were "complicit" in the shooting due to inaction. He then grabbed national attention as he led a 15-hour filibuster on the Senate floor , demanding a vote on two gun control amendments while putting the spotlight on deadly shootings from Newtown to Charleston to Orlando and beyond.
- A Danbury man pleaded guilty Wednesday to a firearms charge in the 2000 cold case murder of a Newtown man shot to death while he was driving on I-84.
- An 18-year-old man who was acquitted in a fatal shooting earlier this year was nearly gunned down himself in an attempted gang hit at the Golden Hill Street courthouse in Bridgeport.
- Greenwich police were investigating a possible drug overdose in connection the death of a local 24-year-old man.
- A New York City man collapsed and died after he finished the KIC IT Triathlon in Stamford.
- A Newtown man died in a suspected drug overdose.
- Greenwich Police Marine officers rescued five people from a sinking recreational boat out on Long Island Sound.
- A 19-year-old Brookfield man found with heroin in his car was facing several drug charges.
- A volunteer firefighter from Monroe was killed in a motorcycle crash on Main Street.
- Many students across the area celebrated as graduation ceremonies were held at: Fairfield Ludlowe High School, Fairfield Warde High School, Darien High School, Newtown High School, Bethel High School, Norwalk High School, Shelton High School, Stamford High School, Westhill High School, Bunnell High School, Stratford High School, Trumbull High School, Masuk High School, Weston High School, Wilton High School, New Fairfield High School, Fairchild Wheeler Interdistrict Magnet High School, Bridgeport Central High School, Warren Harding High School and Bassick High School.
- A spray park offers a new way to keep cool at Danbury's Kenosia Park.
- Some homemade curling stones left in a parking lot at Roger Ludlowe Middle School in Fairfield caused a brief security incident.
- The State of Connecticut is awarding New Canaan a grant of $150,000 to create a Downtown Pedestrian Loop on Weed Street.
- A Westport woman was arrested on a warrant after she appeared intoxicated as she picked up her child from school.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.