BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Two brothers from Bridgeport pleaded guilty to federal heroin charges in connection with two overdoses earlier this year, one of which was fatal, authorities said.
Erick Delgado, 39, pleaded guilty Thursday to one count of distribution of heroin in Bridgeport federal court. His brother, Anoris "Alex" Delgado, 28, pleaded guilty to the same charge on Tuesday, Oct 25.
According to court documents and statements made in court, on the morning of April 25, Bridgeport Police and medical personnel responded to a report of a possible drug overdose on Washington Avenue.
The victim was revived with two doses of Narcan, prosecutors said.
A friend of the victim told investigators that he and the victim had purchased heroin from an individual he knew as “Eric” in the area of Brooks Street and Ogden Street in Bridgeport; the victim subsequently identified Erick Delgado as the source of the heroin he had used, according to prosecutors.
In a related incident, Monroe Police and emergency medical personnel responded to a report of an unresponsive 48-year-old male at a home in Monroe on the evening of April 25. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
An interview with an acquaintance of the victim revealed that the two had traveled to the area of Brooks Street and Ogden Street earlier that same day, and that the victim had purchased heroin from Erick Delgado, prosecutors said.
On May 3, an individual working with law enforcement contacted Erick Delgado to arrange to buy heroin, according to officials.
When the individual and an undercover officer arrived in the area of Brooks Street and Ogden Street, they were met by Anoris Delgado, who provided them with 20 bags of the drug, prosecutors said.
The undercover officer purchased another 20 bags of heroin from Anoris Delgado on May 20, according to prosecutors.
The two brothers were arrested June 21.
Erick Delgado has been detained since his arrest, and Anoris Delgado has been free on $50,000 bond.
No sentencing dates have been scheduled, prosecutors said. Each faces a maximum of 20 years in prison.
The case stems from an ongoing statewide initiative targeting narcotics dealers who distribute heroin, fentanyl or opioids that cause death or serious injury to users, prosecutors said.
It was investigated by the DEA’s New Haven Tactical Diversion Squad, and the Monroe and Bridgeport Police Departments.
The task force includes participants from the New Haven, Hamden, Greenwich, Shelton, Bristol, Vernon, Wilton, Milford, Monroe, Fairfield and Manchester Police Departments, as well as the Connecticut State Police.
The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Douglas P. Morabito.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.