BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – Want to know what your blood pressure is, how to handle hospital bills or to breastfeed your baby? The Bridgeport Hospital is offering a number of free health screenings, support groups and classes in January.
- Billing questions. Patients and their families can get free, confidential assistance with questions about billing issues and payment options, including eligibility for free or discounted care. For an appointment to see a financial counselor, call (203) 384-3449.
- Blood pressure screenings. Free. Stratford Baldwin Center, 1000 West Broad St., Monday, Jan. 9, 9:30 a.m. - 11 a.m.; Shelton Senior Center, 81 Wheeler St., Monday, Jan. 23, noon - 2 p.m. For more information, call 1-(888) 357-2396.
- Breastfeeding basics. Class covers the benefits of breastfeeding, establishing and maintaining milk supply, latch-on and positioning techniques. New moms will also be taught how to know if baby is getting enough breast milk and how to fit breastfeeding into a busy lifestyle. To register, call 1-(888)-357-2396, or visit www.bridgeporthospital.org/events . Park Avenue Medical Center, 5520 Park Ave., Trumbull from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturdays, Jan. 7, 14 and 28; and 9:30 - 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 15.
- Childbirth preparation. Topics include: relaxation and breathing techniques, comfort measures, positioning, partner's role, pain management, medications and birth by Cesarean section. Park Avenue Medical Center 5520 Park Ave., Trumbull. Classes are 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 14, and Sunday, Jan. 15. To register, call 1-(888)-357-2396, or visit www.bridgeporthospital.org/events .
- Expectant parent classes and tours. Birthplace tours are 6 – 7 p.m. Thursdays, Jan. 5, 12, 19 and 26. Infant CPR classes are 7:15-8:15 Thursdays, Jan. 5, 12, 19 and 26 To register, call 1-(888)-357-2396 or visit www.bridgeporthospital.org/events.
- First aid and safety classes. American Heart Association self-care classes. Bridgeport Hospital, 267 Grant St. Registration is required.
- Administration of medicin e. 6:30 - 9:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 12. The full program costs $60. For injectables only, the class (6:30 – 8 p.m.) is $25.
- Adult, child and infant CPR/defibrillator two-year certification. 6-9 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 4. The cost is $75.
- Pediatric first aid/safety and adult, child and infant CPR/defibrillator training two-year certification. 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 21. The cost is $110 for the full class or $80 for the first aid portion only, 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. For information about workplace or community-based group classes, call (203) 384-449.
- Genetic counseling. Bridgeport Hospital, in partnership with the Smilow Cancer Genetics and Prevention Program, provides genetic counseling services by appointment at Norma Pfriem Breast Center, 111 Beach Road, Fairfield, and Park Avenue Medical Center, 5520 Park Ave, Trumbull. For information or to make an appointment, call (203) 200-4362.
- Healthy Traveler service. Pre-travel consultations, travel vaccines, medications and comprehensive travel information. For information or to make an appointment, call (203) 384-3613.
- Senior driving course. AARP’s Smart Driver course will be offered 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 7. First-floor administration conference room, Bridgeport Hospital, 267 Grant St. The fee is $15 for AARP members, $20 for non-members. Successful completion may entitle seniors to a discount on automobile insurance premiums. To register, call 1 (888) 357-2396 or visit www.bridgeporthospital.org/events.
- Stroke support group. 6 - 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 3. Ahlbin Rehabilitation Center, 4 Corporate Drive, Shelton. For information, call (203) 925-4201.
- Understanding weight-loss surgery . Free informational seminars are held regularly at 112 Quarry Road, Trumbull. Presented by Dr. Andrew Duffy, program director, and Dr. Saber Ghiassi, Bridgeport Hospital’s site director, Yale Bariatric and Minimally Invasive Surgery Program. For dates and times, and to register, call (203) 789-6237.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.