FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Residents across Fairfield County and beyond will be slammed by a storm on the first day of spring, but it's still not clear how much snow it could bring
The latest forecast calls for anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of snow from Sunday into early Monday with the greatest amount of snow occurring across Connecticut, New York and other parts of New England, according to Accuweather.com.
Forecasters are calling for up to 12 inches of snow in Connecticut, with 3 to 6 inches in New York City. In addition to snow, the winds are expected to increase as the front moves off the coast of New England, making traveling dangerous. A few power outages could occur as a result.
Drivers should exercise caution, especially on bridges, overpasses and secondary roads, depending on the amount of snow, some major highways could get slippery at night, added Accuweather.com.
How much snow falls will depend on how strong the storm becomes and how close it moves to the coast. The further away it stays, the less snow is expected. If the storm moves closer, the Monday morning commute could be a mess for much of the area.
In the wake of the storm chilly weather will continue in the Northeast Monday and continue into early next week.
- Friday Afternoon: Scattered showers after 4 p.m. Mostly sunny, with a high near 57. West wind around 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
- Friday Night: Scattered showers before 8 p.m. Mostly clear, with a low around 33. North wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
- Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 43. Wind chill values between 30 and 40. North wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm in the morning.
- Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow after midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Northeast wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
- Sunday: Snow likely, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. East wind around 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
- Sunday Night: Snow. Low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. New snow accumulation of 3 to 12 inches possible depending on movement of storm.
- Monday: A chance of snow before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent.
- Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.