FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Residents hoping a weak cold front moving into the area later Friday might bring a little relief from sizzling, humid temperatures, can wish away as hot weather is here to stay for the weekend.
According to the National Weather Service, a warm and humid air mass will remain in place ahead of the cold front that should pass through Friday night bringing a slight chance of showers on Saturday evening.
The combination of the heat and humidity will result in maximum heat indexes in the mid- and upper-90s this afternoon and through the weekend.
In addition to the heat, several areas of the county including -- Bridgeport, Greenwich, Stamford, New Canaan, Darien, Norwalk, Westport, Fairfield, and Stratford -- are under an air quality alert for those who suffer from respiratory illness or are susceptible to breathing problems.
Here's a look at what's in store for the weekend:
- Friday: Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 95. Heat index values as high as 99.
- Friday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 71.
- Saturday : Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.
- Saturday night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 84.
- Sunday night : Mostly clear, with a low around 70.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.