FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Secretary of the State Denise Merrill has selected a number of polling locations around the state to audit the results of last month's presidential primary in Connecticut.
The sites selected include a number in Fairfield County.
“There is no acceptable margin for error in an election or primary," Merrill said. "The public can be guaranteed that officials are taking every possible step to ensure the integrity of the vote and promote confidence in the process. We have trust in the machines and the results. However, we also require that these results be verified.”
A hand count of ballots from 10 percent of all polling places that use optical scanners will be matched against machine totals, which will affirm the integrity of the vote, Merrill said.
She randomly selected voting precincts to have election results audited from the April 26 presidential preference primary.
In the audit, the hand counted ballots will be matched against vote totals from optical scan machines, Merrill said.
A total of 723 polling places used optical scan machines on April 26, so she chose 73 primary and 10 alternate locations. The results of audits will be analyzed by the University of Connecticut, the Secretary of the State’s office and the State Elections Enforcement Commission, and then be made available to the public.
The audit can start no earlier than May 11 and must be complete by June 3. Connecticut boasts one of the strictest audit statutes in the country and was the first state in New England to require a comprehensive audit of primary results.
Locations in Fairfield County selected for the audit include:
- Bethel:P Bethel Municipal Center, Districts 1 & 4
- Bridgeport: Dunbar School, District 124-3
- Bridgeport: J.F.K. Campus, District 124-2
- Bridgeport: Luis Munoz Marin, District 128-2
- Bridgeport: Park City Magnet, District 126-3
- Bridgeport: Read Middle School, District 127-2
- Danbury: Park Avenue School Gym, Ward 6
- Darien: District 6 / 35 Leroy Ave.
- Greenwich: Central Middle School, District 8
- Greenwich: Julian Curtiss School, District 1
- Shelton: Elizabeth Shelton School
- Stamford: Our Lady Star of the Sea
- Stamford: Salvation Army
- Stratford: Lordship School 1st District
- Westport: Greens Farms Elementary School Auditorium District 4
- Fairfield McKinley School
- Greenwich: Greenwich High School, District 7A
- Stamford: Stamford High
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.