BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A 39-year-old man who sparked an Amber Alert after police said he stabbed his girlfriend to death and fled with their 6-year-old daughter will be returning to Bridgeport to face murder charges, according to the Centre Daily Times.
Oscar Hernandez of Bridgeport, who was arrested in February after crashing into a tractor-trailer on I-99 in Centre County, Pa., appeared in court there Wednesday, where he waived extradition, the Daily Times said.
At the time of the crash, Hernandez was fleeing with his 6-year-old daughter after stabbing her mother to death in their Bridgeport home, police said. An Amber Alert was issued across Connecticut.
In Pennsylvania, Hernandez is charged with fleeing police officers, endangering the welfare of children, reckless endangerment and arrest prior to requisition.
In Connecticut, Hernandez is facing charges of murder, attempted murder and first-degree assault.
The city of Bridgeport was shocked by the case, which began when officers responded to the home at 69 Greenwood Road at 2:45 a.m. Friday, Feb. 24.
Officers found Nidia Gonzalez dead from stab wounds and a second woman in critical condition, also with stab wounds, police said.
Oscar Hernandez and 6-year-old Aylin Sofia Hernandez were missing. Police determined that Hernandez was a suspect, alerted other police agencies and launched the Amber Alert, which was pinged on cellphones and posted on highway signs.
He was captured about eight-and-a-half hours later, 350 miles away in Pennsylvania. The girl was safe except for some minor injuries suffered in the crash.
Oscar Hernandez had been deported to his native El Salvador in 2013 after a conviction for assaulting a former girlfriend in Stamford, federal authorities said.
Click here to read the story at the Centre Daily Times.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.