BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- A Bridgeport man was awarded $323,000 in a lawsuit claiming officers used excessive force when arresting him on charges that were later dropped, according to the Connecticut Post.
Anibal Diaz, 31, had filed the lawsuit as a result of an arrest that took place in May 2013, according to the Connecticut Post. According to the lawsuit, police arrived at his home while he was sitting on the front porch with relatives on a report of two men with a gun, the Connecticut Post reported. Diaz claimed that the police Tasered him without provocation, and that at one point an officer hit him in the eye, according to the Connecticut Post.
Diaz was charged with assault on a police officer, interfering and breach of peace, and held for two days before he was able to post bond, the Connecticut Post reported. The charges were eventually dropped 18 months later just before the case was supposed to go to trial, according to the Connecticut Post.
A jury awarded Diaz the $323,000 on Wednesday after deliberating, according to the Connecticut Post. An attorney for the city told the Connecticut Post that the award was excessive and that the city would appeal to reduce it. He also told the Connecticut Post that Diaz had been aggressive toward officers and that they had used reasonable force.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.