BRIDGEPORT, Conn -- Police arrested nine people on drug charges in a raid targeting gang members in the East End of Bridgeport on Wednesday morning, according to police.
The statewide Gang Unit, which is a joint task force consisting of Connecticut State Police and Bridgeport Police, conducted a series of search warrants and arrest warrants on Wednesday as a result of a five-month investigation involving street gang members from the East End, police said. The investigations involved dozens of undercover heroin and crack cocaine purchases from the suspects, who are also suspected to be involved in gun possession, according to police.
"Bridgeport Police have responded to calls from assaults, narcotic violations, shootings, firearms offensives, robberies and two separate homicides within the areas of Newfield Avenue," police said in a statement. "Task Force officers targeted individuals that used this location to distribute their illegal narcotics, carry firearms and create an atmosphere of fear and intimidation."
On Wednesday, police executed seven search warrants, three search warrants on cars, and six arrest warrants, along with three on-site arrests, police said. The warrants were conducted by the Gang Unit, along with the Bridgeport Police Detective and Patrol Divisions, the Connecticut State Police and Bridgeport Police Tactical Teams and the Hamden Narcotics Unit.
Police seized four firearms during this operation, including two handguns, one of which was stolen from Georgia, a rifle and a facsimile firearm. They also seized 133 rounds of live ammunition, a bullet-proof vest with steel plates, which was seized from a convicted felon's car, who is prohibited from possessing a vest, police said.
They also seized a large number of drugs, including two grams of raw heroin, 129 bags of crack cocaine weighing 34.4 grams, 32 pills of ecstasy weighing eight grams, and 30.6 grams of marijuana. They also seized $2,010 in cash, as well as heroin packaging, baggies, bands and scales, according to police.
Police made a total of nine arrests in the operation:
- Ervin Ezekial, 34, of Bridgeport was charged with three counts of sale of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, and risk of injury.
- Andrew Stephenson, 21, of Bridgeport was charged with four counts of sale of narcotics.
- Tyron Heard, 19, of Stratford was charged with one count of sale of narcotics.
- Keith Teasley, 23, of Bridgeport was charged with three counts of sale of narcotics.
- Gregory Williams, 32, of Hamden was charged with four counts of sale of narcotics.
- Rahkim Tucker, 27, of Stratford was charged with three counts of sale of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, and possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell.
- Demetrius Barnes, 19, of Bridgeport was charged with possession of narcotics.
- Alice Felder, 28, of Bridgeport was charged with possession of narcotics with intent to sell and risk of injury.
- Jasmine Moye, 26, of Lithonia, Georgia was charged with possession of narcotics with intent to sell, possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, and interfering with police.
Bonds ranged from $25,000 to $300,000, and the suspects are set to appear in court on Wednesday.
Police are still looking for seven males who are wanted on felony drug charges out of state police Troop G in Bridgeport:
- Raicweon Belle, 20
- Deon Edwards, 28
- Travis Franklin, 28
- Darryl Irizarry, 31
- Benjamin Jordan, 26
- Carson Scott, 21
- Lucian Sozae, 41
If anybody sees any of the wanted men or has any information, contact Troop G with details at (203) 696-2500.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.