BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Federal contractors covered head to toe in hazardous material suits, respirators and protective head gear, have begun cleaning up the site of a Sept. 11, 2014 chemical fire in Bridgeport, according to the Connecticut Post .
More than a year after fire demolished the Seaview Avenue property used to store perfume-related chemicals, the Environmental Protection Agency has begun cleaning up the site that authorities responding to the fire thought contained about 1,000, 55-gallon metal drums of dyes and other manufacturing materials, reported the Connecticut Post.
Daniel Burgo, the EPA’s on-site coordinator, said to date the EPA has removed 1,000 drums, with hundreds more to go: “We’re looking at 1,750 to 2,000,” Burgo said. “Much more than we thought,” he told the Connecticut Post.
Besides dealing with the chemicals, Burgo said the EPA will remediate any related contamination in the soil and in surrounding buildings, said the Connecticut Post.
City and state officials blamed the delay in dealing with the hazardous contents on the winter and a breakdown in the relationship between the property owner and contractors hired to clean it up, according to the Connecticut Post. Earlier this year, the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection asked the EPA to take the lead, added the Connecticut Post.
Click here to read the entire Connecticut Post story.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.