FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Here's a look at the top stories in Fairfield County this week:
- Alfonso Reid, 39, of Bridgeport, was charged with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old student from Sacred Heart University in Fairfield. His arrest led to a police bust of a Bridgeport bar where he had picked up her by pretending to be an Uber driver . In the raid, police ticketed over 70 underage drinkers from SHU . Two Bridgeport police found to be moonlighting at the club were suspended , and Bridgeport considered ordinances to improve safety.
- Jason Adams, 46, a science teacher at Newtown Middle School, was arrested with a loaded gun inside the school, police said. Superintendent Joseph Erardi told parents Adams has been placed on administrative leave with pay during an investigation .
- GOP presidential hopeful John Kasich focused on the issues in an appearance at Sacred Heart University, drawing a curious crowd .
- After a massive tree toppled due to high winds and destroyed their home, a Stamford family is searching for their missing cat.
- A 35-year-old Bridgeport man was killed when he lost control of his car on I-95 south near the Darien rest area and it burst into flames after slamming into a tree.
- A Westport mother was arrested after her two young children were found wandering alone on the Post Road.
- The sister of a teacher killed in the Sandy Hook massacre is offering to open a dialogue with presidential candidate Bernie Sanders after he said he opposes the right of shooting victims to sue gunmakers.
- A Norwalk man was arrested on kidnapping charges after he took a female victim on a drive and refused to drop her off at her college — or anywhere else.
- A 29-year-old man was charged with home invasion and assault after breaking into a Shelton home and assaulting his ex-girlfriend.
- Silver Hill Hospital President Sigurd Ackerman joined Sam Waterston for the taping of a PBS documentary on the New Canaan facility.
- A fire in a two-family home on Barnum Avenue in Stratford that displaced five people was caused by a gas stove that malfunctioned after an animal chewed on the wiring.
- A 25-year-old Brookfield man was charged by New York State Police with using counterfeit currency to buy an Xbox.
- Police are investigating allegations of an inappropriate relationship between a student and a substitute teacher at Warren Harding High School in Bridgeport.
- Skaters from across Fairfield County find camaraderie with Shelton-based Laurel Ridge Skating Club.
- A Bridgeport man is accused of threatening a family with a gun in a road rage incident on Route 25 in Trumbull.
- The owner of Jimmie's Market in Danbury slammed his Mercedes into the side of his own business.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.