Contact Us
Bridgeport Daily Voice serves Bridgeport, CT

Menu

Bridgeport Daily Voice serves Bridgeport, CT

Nearby Towns

news

Suspect, 19, Arraigned In Murder Of Bridgeport Teen In Gang Shooting

Deonte Tomlinson
Deonte Tomlinson Photo Credit: Contributed photo

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A crowd of more than 100 people turned out for the arraignment Monday of a 19-year-old city man charged in the brazen, daytime murder of another city teen F riday in what police called a gang-related shooting, according to the Connecticut Post.

Deonte Tomlinson, 19, is charged with murder, carrying a pistol without a permit, unlawful discharge of a firearm and altering identification marks on a firearm in connection with the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Kahlil Sloan-Diaz.

Tomlinson was released from jail three months ago after serving six months for a robbery conviction, the Post said. Since then, he has been arrested three times — before the murder — and charged with marijuana possession, interfering with police and possession of a firearm, the Post said.

Tomlinson was held on $1 million bond on the murder and new gun charges, and $50,000 for violating his probation, the Post said.

Last Friday, four Bridgeport officers were driving in the area of Madison Avenue and Frank Street when the shots rang out at about noon, police said. Officers saw Tomlinson flee the scene, and they gave chase both on foot and in a car, police said.

Tomlinson was detained without incident at Madison and Grand Street, police said.

Officers found a wounded Sloan-Diaz, sitting in his car in front of 305 Madison Ave. He was transported to St. Vincent’s Medical Center, where he died, police said.

In February, Sloan-Diaz was found not guilty by a jury in connection with a 2014 fatal gang-related shooting, said Av Harris, the city’s director of communication, and police believe the murder was in retaliation.

Diaz was suspected of being the getaway driver in the August 2014 fatal shooting of Ryan Hernandez, 21, according to the Connecticut Post said. The suspected shooter, 17-year-old Fabian “Fab” Francis, was also found not guilty, the Post said.

Friday's shooting death was the second homicide of the year in Bridgeport. An arrested has also been made in that case.

Click here to read the story at the Connecticut Post.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Bridgeport Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.