FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – Here’s a look at the top stories from around Fairfield County last week.
- A smoky fire visible for miles around Bridgeport — and right next to I-95 — destroyed a building at the old AGI Rubber Factory site near the Stratford Avenue Bridge. Firefighters battled the large blaze by land and by sea.
- Calvin Richardson, a 27-year-old Norwalk man, was arrested on drug charges after police said they found 96 pieces of crack cocaine in his underwear .
- The body of 19-year-old Nicholas Upton from Redding was recovered after he drowned while swimming in waters off of South Africa. Upton, a 2013 graduate of Joel Barlow High School, was a junior at George Washington University who was studying abroad.
- Students from Fairfield University and Sacred Heart University helped to build a home for Habitat For Humanity that will honor Pope Francis .
- Supporters of the presidential bid by Bernie Sanders , led by the Wesport/Norwalk chapter of Democracy for America, gathered to plan strategy.
- A Norwalk teen was arrested on charges of leading Wilton police on a 100 mph chase through the town.
Darien First Selectman Jayme Stevenson and U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy met at the
Noroton Heights train station
to discuss development projects and transportation improvements.
- Students in Stamford and Greenwich headed back to class for the start of the 2015-16 school year. And Western Connecticut State University in Danbury threw open its gates to the welcome the new members of the Class of 2019.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.