FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Here's a look at last week's top stories from around Fairfield County:
- A powerful weekend nor'easter slammed into the Connecticut coastline , bringing a foot of snow the area and shutting down Metro-North for the night. Gov. Dannel Malloy focused the state's snowplows on Fairfield County, which was the hardest hit part of the state.
- Malik Claiborne, 19, was charged with second-degree assault and conspiracy in connection with a mob attack on two Norwalk teens after a Stamford High School basketball game.
- Lucrecia Veloz of Stamford stepped forward to claim the second of three Powerball prizes worth $1 million in Connecticut from the record Jan. 13 drawing.
- A 16-year-old from Bridgeport will be among the contestants as "American Idol" kicks off its final season.
- Tazza Cucina & Bar, the new restaurant that opened in Newtown, serves cuisine that is Italian-based but not traditional Old School, according to Roberto Furnari, one of its owners.
- Two armed robbers hit a Kings Highway East market in Fairfield just after midnight Monday , pointing handguns at two clerks and making off with cash.
- State Police arrested supermodel Stephanie Seymour on drunken driving charges after she flipped her Land Rover onto its side on an I-95 ramp in Greenwich.
- The Cigar Shop of Monroe reopened, and according to one of its owners , is a place where people can come to relax and smoke cigars.
- What police feared might be a distress signal from a downed airplane — sparking a massive search in Wilton on Tuesday night — turned out to be from a Breitling watch in the company's office.
- Three people were injured in a stabbing incident on Wilton Avenue in Norwalk.
- Connecticut residents are paying the second highest state-and-local tax burden in the United States. According to a Daily Voice poll, 96 percent of state residents think they pay too much in state and local taxes.
- Several gunshots were fired at an occupied Stamford home that was the last known residence of a murder suspect.
- Sacred Grounds Coffee Roasters opened recently in Sherman--offering fair trade and organic coffees from around the world.
- A man from Ridgefield was sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison for a hit-and-run that killed a woman in Greenwich over two years ago.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.