FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Here's a look at the top stories in Fairfield County from last week:
- A cache of 21 handguns and rifles, marijuana plants worth “tens of thousands” of dollars, anabolic steroids, growth hormone and ammunition were seized from a Bridgeport home in what Mayor Joseph P. Ganim called “one of the largest single arrest results anyone can remember.”
- A surprise storm dumped more snow than expected across Fairfield County on Friday, with up to 9 inches in some spots. The road conditions were so bad that the Merritt Parkway was closed for a time due to crashes.
- Gov. Dannel Malloy delivered a grim State of the State Address as the legislature returned to work. He warned of new budget practices, spending cuts and layoffs.
- Two Shelton residents were arrested after an undercover detective witnessed a drug bu y in a downtown parking lot Thursday morning that involved heroin.
- Trumbull Town Clerk Suzanne Barr Monaco and her husband, Domenic, were injured in a a two-car crash Wednesday night on Church Hill Road .
- An Islamic leader from Newtown was the guest of h onor of U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty at the64th annual National Prayer Breakfast with President Barack Obama in Washington, D.C.
- Officials have ruled Tuesday's death of a pedestrian from Stamford struck by a tractor-trailer on I-95 in Darien as a suicide.
- A dozen or so young canines from the Connecticut Humane Society in Westport were out promoting Animal Planet’s “Puppy Bowl XII.”
- A seal at the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk jumped into the Super Bowl fun, picking Carolina for the win over the Broncos.
- Prairie dog "Beardsley Bart" predicted an early spring in Connecticut's own version of Groundhog Day at the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport.
- Robert Atkinson uses recipes from his mother and grandmother at his restaurant, Mima's Meatballs & More, which has locations in Danbury and Ridgefield.
- Sacred Heart University Professor Gary Rose was not surprised by the narrow victories posted by Ted Cruz and Hillary Clinton in the Iowa caucus.
- It's not too late to vote for Newtown resident Nora Murphy, whose blog, Connecticut Country House , has been nominated for for the 2016 Design Blogger's Hall of Fame for Best Overall Blog. Click here to vote for her.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.