FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – Flags across the U.S. will be lowered to half-staff in the wake of another deadly attack, this time in Nice, France, Gov. Dannel Malloy announced on Friday.
In the attack, a truck driver mowed down dozens of people at a Bastille Day celebration in the French seaside city on Thursday evening. NBC News reported that at least 84 people had been killed — including 10 children — and 202 others were injured. A total of 52 people were in critical condition, with of them 25 on life support, according to NBC News . Police killed the gunman, described as a loner with no known ties to a terror group, NBC News said.
Two Americans — a father and his 11-year-old son from Texas — were among those killed, NBC News said.
In accordance with a proclamation from President Barack Obama, U.S. and state flags in Connecticut will fly at half-staff beginning immediately until sunset on July 19.
U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) was saddened by the attack.
“My heart goes out to the victims, their families, and the people of France in the wake of this latest attack," he said. "[Thursday’s] attack was a horrifying assault on the people of France as they celebrated their freedom, and it is a disturbing reminder of the evil at work in our world and the coordinated, global response needed to stop it.
"America stands ready to support and assist France as they continue the investigation and bring the perpetrators and accomplices to justice."
U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) echoed that statement.
“The unspeakable brutality of yesterday’s horrific attack in France shocks and staggers our minds and hearts," Blumenthal said. "As our hearts go out to France, our vigilance in America must be heightened along with our determination to fight extremist violence abroad and reduce the threat at home.
"More vigorous collection and sharing of intelligence is vital among our allies in this battle against terrorist attacks, and more effective action against ISIL and other violent extremists outside our nation can help make us safer here. We stand in solidarity with France and all nations fighting terrorist violence.”
Republican U.S. Senate candidate Dan Carter, who is challenging Blumenthal this fall, also spoke out on the attack.
"Today we wake up to a world devastated by yet another senseless act of terror," said Carter. "While the investigation is still ongoing, we know the goal of the perpetrators was to kill as many innocent victims as possible by any means necessary.
"Senator Blumenthal and Democrats in Washington have worked very hard to distract attention from fighting terrorism by focusing instead on the weapons used because their policies, like voting for the Iran nuclear deal, weakened America and our allies against terrorists," said Carter. "Should we expect Senator Blumenthal to suggest a ban on box trucks now?
"By voting to allow $150 billion to flow to Iran, the world's foremost state sponsor of terror, Senator Blumenthal effectively neutralized counterterrorism efforts across the globe, the evidence has never been more clear than it is today," said Carter. "No sit-in, filibuster, or fundraising email will put an end to terrorists desire to commit mass murder and instill fear in the hearts of freedom loving people, by any means necessary."
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.