FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Here's a look at the top stories in Fairfield County this week:
- A Shelton man, who had a kidney transplant last year , won the grand prize HGTV Dream Home 2016 on Merritt Island.
- A New Canaan eighth grade quarterback landed two college scholarship offers -- from Florida State and South Alabama. The boy led his Pop Warner team, the New Fairfield Falcons, to the New England championship and the semifinals of the national playoffs.
- Redding Police have charged a 14-year-old Redding boy with possession of child pornography, obscenity, and harassment.
- The man believed to have fired the shots in the attempted murder-suicide in Bethel last week has died. Though police have not said what led to the shootings, the two parties were reportedly involved in a months-long eviction case.
- After years of concerns and complaints over underage drinking, Stamford’s Alive @ Five concerts will be limited to those over 21 only this summer.
- Bob LeRose, co-owner of Bobby Q’s Bodacious BBQ & Grill in Westport and Bobby Q’s Pit Stop in Greenwich, will open his newest venture this summer in Norwalk at the new Waypointe District.
- The Vicki Soto Memorial Fund, which was named after a t eacher killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy in Newtown in 2012, has supported many causes in Stratford. In addition to creating a public school literacy project, the fund also donates to the Stratford Public Library and has created a substantial scholarship program for high schoolers.
- After GE departs for Boston this summer, Fairfield University and Kleban Properties want to use General Electric's Fairfield headquarters for a variety of educational components, including an executive education center.
- David Genovese, founder of Baywater Properties, will present to the public an overview of the downtown Darien redevelopment project proposed by Baywater Properties and its partner, PG Properties.
- A Danbury businesswoman has been named the 2016 Connecticut honoree for a minority-owned small business from the U.S. Small Business Administration, for her work to bring diversity to the workforce.
- A Stratford man was charged with drunken driving after police said he blew through a DUI checkpoint in Norwalk.
- The Pink Soda Blow Dry Bar salon, which opened in Newtown in April 2015 and in Fairfield in December 2015, offers blowouts, up-styles, makeup, organic spray tanning, hair treatments and parties for ages six to 60.
- After a jury was deadlocked for days over a verdict , a Bridgeport judge was forced to declare a second mistrial in the case of the killing and dismembering of a college student in 2013.
- A 60-year-old Queens, N.Y., man has been charged with shoplifting more than $12,000 worth of items from two Greenwich CVS stores.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.