FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- The shotgun and rifle hunting season for deer officially opened on Wednesday, Nov. 16.
With the new season underway, the State Environmental Police are offering the following reminders and rules to keep everyone safe this season:
- Assume the firearm is loaded.
- Control the muzzle; keep it pointed in a safe direction.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Be sure of the target and what lies beyond.
- When you plan to spend time outdoors, let someone know where you are going and when you will return.
- Familiarize yourself with the area where you plan to go and know the activities that occur there.
- Wear brightly-colored clothing. A fluorescent orange vest and/or hat is recommended.
- If you see another person while in the woods, whether a hiker, hunter, biker or horseback rider, call out to them to make them aware of your location.
- Respect property rights. Remember, all users are required to obtain permission from the owner before entering private property. For many hunters, written permission must be carried while on private property.
The season will run through Dec. 6.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.