FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Here's a look at the top stories in Fairfield County this past week:
- Two young girls made a grim discovery Thursday when they spotted the body of a man in Long Island Sound just off the shore of Fairfield. The man has been identified as Shigemune Mori, 32, who was last seen in the water off Bridgeport with no lifejacket after he was tossed from an inflatable kayak on June 12. He is survived by his pregnant wife, who works for the town of Westport, and two young daughters.
- A Stamford homeowner didn't give a loud clap of thunder and a flash of lighting a second thought until her fire alarm began to beep and within minutes the house began to fill with smoke.
Stratford police were investigating after someone smashed a vault at Union Cemetery and stole 18 cremation urns, along with the remains.
Greenwich swimmer Jack Montesi will hit the water in high gear at the U.S. Olympic trials in Omaha in a bid to fulfill his lifelong dream of competing in the Olympics.
- In an effort to force a vote on putting an end to gun violence and easy access to automatic weapons the entire Connecticut House delegation joined U.S. Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), in a sit-on the House Floor on Wednesday.
- State police seized 59 illegal firearms from the home New Fairfield home of Michael K. Giannone, 44, who was charged with manufacturing and selling illegal assault rifles and handguns.
- About 100 people gathered outside City Hall for the unveiling ceremony of a monument created by a New Fairfield sculptor that pays tribute to Danbury's hatting days .
- A veterinary clinic has stepped up to help after the Trumbull Police Department lost one of its most beloved members, K9 Cyrus, an 8-year-old German shepherd .
- The death of Marian Alexander, 52, of Norwalk has been ruled a homicide by the state medical examiner.
- A man from Monroe, who was driving his car without a front tire, was arrested on drunken-driving charges in Wilton and charged in a hit-and-run crash in New Canaan.
- Victoria Leonzi of Shelton has earned the Girl Scout Gold Award for her project that provides children with over 1,000 books at seven preschools.
- Westport officers apprehended three suspects in a stolen car after a chase that ended with a crash into a telephone pole in Fairfield.
- The Wilton Y Wahoos' own David Gelfand, a Weston High senior, has his sights set on Rio as he heads for the Paralympic swimming trials in Charlotte, N.C.
- Early childcare advocates hosted a legislative forum in Bridgeport to oppose state eligibility changes they say may mean working parents will have to quit their jobs to care for their children
- The 49 lives lost in the Orlando nightclub shooting are being mourned on a little tree on a small block in Bethel.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.