BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- The Maggie Daly Arts Cooperative and the Bijou Theatre will usher in spring with Bridgeport's first EarthFest Recycled Art Contest in celebration of Earth Day on April 21.
EarthFest 2016 invites local artists, entrepreneurs, city officials, and Bridgeport residents to celebrate Earth Day through the arts.
Events for the day include:
- A recyclable art exhibit by MDAC artists at the Bijou.
- A recyclable art “contest” where participants works will be showcased at various partnering businesses in downtown Bridgeport.
- A variety of Earth Day workshops for community members and artists of all ages as well as a celebration on McLevy Green with tai chi, a drumming circle and more.
- A community-wide “ribbon tying” symbolizing connections and intentions.
- A culmination of EarthFest activities with a walk around the community and a free celebration with music and awards at the Bijou.
The groups are currently accepting applications from artists to be displayed during the event. Artists are invited to create works from recycled materials, demonstrating how everyday junk can be used to create new and beautiful things.
Artwork may be in any format and will be displayed at various participating businesses and venues throughout downtown Bridgeport. All professional and amateur artist ages 18 and up are encouraged to apply by Feb. 12.
Prizes for artwork include: $1,000 first place; $500 second place, and art supply gift card for third place.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.