BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – Bridgeport Hospital will offer the following classes, screenings, services and support groups during August.
Billing questions: Bridgeport Hospital provides free, confidential assistance to patients and families with questions about their bills. Financial counselors are available during regular business hours to discuss billing issues and payment assistance options, including eligibility for free or discounted care. Bridgeport Hospital also has someone available to help patients apply for Medicaid and other state assistance programs. For an appointment to see a financial counselor, call 203-384-3449.
Blood pressure screenings: Free blood pressure screenings are offered at the following locations and times. For information, call 888-357-2396.
- Fairfield Senior Center, 100 Mona Terrace, Aug. 1 and 15, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Stratford Baldwin Center, 1000 W. Broad St., Aug. 8, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Shelton Senior Center, 81 Wheeler St., Aug. 22, noon to 2 p.m.
Breastfeeding support group: A free group for new and expectant mothers meets from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 3 and 17 at the Park Avenue Medical Center, 5520 Park Ave., Trumbull. The group is facilitated by a certified lactation consultant. Mothers can attend as many meetings as they wish and are welcome to bring their babies. To register, call 888-357-2396 or go here .
Expectant parent classes and tours: Classes and tours for new and expectant parents include
- Birthplace Tours, Aug. 4, 11, 18 and 25, 6 - 7 p.m.
- Infant CPR Anytime, Aug. 4, 11, 18 and 25, 7:15-8:15 p.m.
To register, call 888-357-2396 or go here .
First Aid and safety classes: American Heart Association self-care classes are at the hospital, 267 Grant St. Registration is required. Call 888-357-2396 or visit here .
- Administration of medicine, Aug. 9 and 23, 6:30-9:30 p.m. The cost is $50 for the full program and $25 for injectables only.
- Adult, child and Infant CPR/defibrillator two-year certification, Aug. 3, 6-9 p.m. Cost is $65.
- Pediatric First Aid/safety and adult, child and infant CPR/defibrillator training, two-year certification, Aug. 20, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The cost is $100 for the full class or $70 for the First Aid portion only.
- Basic life support for health care providers, two-year certification, Aug. 6, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Aug. 10, 17, 24 and 31, 6-10 p.m. The cost is $90 ($65 for those with an unexpired American Heart Association certification card).
Genetic counseling: The Norma Pfriem Cancer Institute, in partnership with the Smilow Cancer Genetics and Prevention Program, provides weekly genetic counseling services by appointment at 111 Beach Road, Fairfield and 5520 Park Ave, Trumbull. For information or to make an appointment, call 203-200-4362.
Healthy traveler service: Provides pre-travel consultations, vaccines, medications and comprehensive travel information. Services include evaluation of travel-related hazards linked to food, drinking water, insects, animals, deep-vein thrombosis, sun burn, jet lag, swimming and more. For information or to make an appointment, call 203-384-3613.
Senior driving course: AARP’s Smart Driver course will be offered Aug.13, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the first-floor administration conference room at 267 Grant St. The fee is $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-members, which covers handouts and instructional materials. Classes are taught by trained AARP instructors. Successful completion may entitle seniors to a discount on automobile insurance premiums. To register, call 888-357-2396 or go here .
Stroke support group: Aug. 2, 6-7 p.m., Ahlbin Rehabilitation Center, 4 Corporate Drive, Shelton. For information, call 203-925-4201.
Traumatic brain injury group: Meets the third Tuesday of the month from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Disability Resource Center, 80 Ferry Blvd., Stratford. For information, call 203-380-1004.
Understanding weight-loss surgery: Free informational seminars are conducted regularly at 112 Quarry Road, Trumbull, for people interested in learning more about weight-loss surgery. Candidates for weight-loss (bariatric) surgery are generally 60 or more pounds overweight or have Type-2 diabetes, sleep apnea, gastric reflux, hypertension or cardiovascular disease. For dates and times or to register, call 203-789-6237.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.