BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- The Bridgeport Farmers Market Collaborative has received the Hunger Network Champions Award from the Council Of Churches of Greater Bridgeport.
The Bridgeport Farmers Market Collaborative is a working group that aligns the efforts of the seven farmers markets and farm stands that have been established in the city of Bridgeport since 2008.
Most of the farmers markets are mission-driven, providing much needed access to fresh produce in under-resourced neighborhoods.
The Bridgeport Farmers Market consists of the Green Village Initiative, the City of Bridgeport Health Department, the Downtown Special Services District and the founders of Black Rock Farmers Market.
The Bridgeport Farmers Market Collaborative was formed in early 2014. This citywide network collaborates on effecting outreach, incentive program design and funding strategies.
Each of the markets accepts SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) EBT cards and checks for WIC, Seniors and Veterans, and also provides dollar-for-dollar matches for SNAP purchases.
Through incentive programs, the collaborative strives to provide equitable access to fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the city during the market season.
Bridgeport residents have access to farmers markets six days a week with markets throughout the city. Bridgeport Farmers Markets are open this summer on the following days and times:
- Black Rock Farmers Market, 481 Brewster St., Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., June 18 to Oct. 15
- South End Market, 877 Park Ave., Wednesdays, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. , June 29 to Oct. 5
- St. Vincent's Farm Stand, 2800 Main St., Tuesdays, Noon to 4 p.m., July 5 to Oct. 5
- East Side Market, 752 E. Main St., Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., July 6 to Oct. 26
- Downtown Market at McLevy Bank St. at McLevy Greens, Thursdays, noon to 4 p.m., July 14 to Oct. 27
- East End Market, 985 Stratford Ave., Fridays, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Kings Pantry Triumphant Christian Church, 30 Florence St., July 8 to Oct. 21
- Reservoir Farmers Market, 1469 Reservoir Ave.,Thursdays, 4 to 7 p.m. and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., June 3 to Oct. 15
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.